Erik’s mom regularly acknowledges how different his eating habits are now from when he was a round-faced boy. The legend has it that, in an effort to break down the dinner time cold war between them, Erik agreed to eat any vegetable if it was covered in Cheez Wiz. To this day he still says, “Yeah and it was delicious.”
And he’s right. Vegetables and cheese are delicious and an all-grown-up version has been gracing our table regularly this fall. It’s easy, fast and as heart warming as that little round face. Sometimes what we knew as children turns out to be have been true all along.
Cheesy Broccoli with Chili Flakes
1 head broccoli
½ C melting cheese (Gruyere, Raclette, Cheddar etc.)
pinch of chili flakes
pinch of salt
- Heat oven to 400
- Cut the broccoli into florets and the stem into slightly smaller hunks
- Toss with a glug of neutral oil, salt and chili flakes
- Roast on a tin foil lined sheet tray until broccoli is dark and caramelly
- Transfer to a baking dish and cover with cheese
- Return to the oven until cheese is melted
This post is dedicated to my friend Kathleen Eder. She gave us these baking dishes for our wedding, and I think of her every time I use them. She’s smart and funny and a long ways away. And come to think of it, as a nutritionist, she probably knows why fat with our veggies is good for us and that that is why it tastes good too.